In my home we love to eat a ton of fresh vegetables. In the last few months, we have even started cutting out most carbs (like rice or pasta) at dinner time because eating those things later in the evening was making us feel overly full and tired. With that change though, comes a little bit of redundancy in that we are typically on a rotation of the same veggies as side dishes to our main course. Getting creative with cooking styles and flavors for our veggies has made a world of difference, and today I’m sharing with you a really easy, and delicious way to serve Asparagus!
Honey Mustard Asparagus- [Serves 3-4]
Prep Time: 2 Minutes/ Cook Time: 5 minutes / Total Time: 7 minutes
1lb fresh Asparagus
1 TBSP Stone Ground Mustard (or Spicy Brown Mustard works too)
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Honey
Salt + Pepper
- Drizzle 2 TBSP olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. While this heats, chop the ends off of the asparagus, and wash. Dry thoroughly.
- Add asparagus to the skillet, and toss with the oil. Season lightly with salt + pepper, then put a lid on the skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- While the asparagus is cooking, whisk together mustard, lemon juice and honey in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove lid from the skillet and add a few tablespoons of water to the asparagus. Toss around, and put the lid back on. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the asparagus and toss to coat, cooking for 1 more minute to set the sauce. Remove from heat and serve.
Here are a few quick tips when making this recipe:
-You can use as much or as little sauce as desired. Start with half the amount, and add more to taste.
-This sauce is also amazing on green beans! Cook to desired doneness, then coat with sauce in a similar fashion. GREAT for holidays!
-Try not to over cook your asparagus! This is a large reason some people are adverse to this vegetable- cooking appropriately is crucial! You want them to be soft but still slightly crisp. The thicker asparagus stalks take slightly longer to cook. Adjust as necessary.
I hope this recipe inspires some healthy eating and great meals for you! Leave me a comment and let me know how you liked it! ❤️