Today I have a recipe to share that is quick, healthy and a perfect bite for a snack or light lunch. Living in Southern California, I get a lot of influence for the food I like to cook and eat from Mexico. I love the spices and flavors in Mexican dishes, but there is nothing more fun than taking inspiration from them and putting a twist on it!
So I am sharing with you a tasty dish that I eat OFTEN! I took a few of my favorite ingredients- corn tortillas, hummus & veggies, and brought them all together into my Spicy Mediterranean Tostada. It’s a true fusion of Mexican and Mediterranean cuisine. Read along below for instructions on how to make this quick and yummy meal!
Spicy Mediterranean Tostada- [Serves 1]
Prep Time: 7 minutes/ Cook Time: 3 Minutes/ Total Time: 10 Minutes
2 Corn Tortillas
1/4 cup Avocado Oil (or any other oil for frying)
4 TBSP Spicy Hummus (I like Sabra brand)
1/3 Cucumber, sliced thin (14 pieces)
1 small Tomato, sliced thin (6-8 pieces)
2 TBSP fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Salt & Pepper
1 Lemon (for juice)
Hot sauce (optional)
- Heat avocado oil in a skillet over med-high heat.
- While oil is heating, slice cucumber, tomato and rough chop the cilantro.
- When oil is hot, gently place a corn tortilla into the oil using tongs. Fry for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown, then flip with tongs. Repeat until both sides are golden brown. Place onto a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Fry remaining tortilla(s).
- Spread 2 TBSP of spicy hummus onto each tostada, being careful not to break the tortilla!
- Place 7 cucumber slices around each tostada.
- Place 3-4 tomato slices layered over the cucumber on each tostada.
- Season lightly with salt & pepper.
- Garnish each tostada with chopped cilantro.
- Cut open your lemon and lightly squeeze a small amount of juice around each tostada.
- Add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce for extra heat (optional).
Here are a few quick tips when making this recipe:
-This recipe is extra yummy with Feta Cheese added to it! You could throw on some of that, and some sliced Kalamata Olives for extra Mediterranean flavor.
-2 of these is a great serving size as a meal. But if you want this as just a snack, 1 would be plenty. Also, these are great for a party appetizer- just cut your tortillas into fourths before frying, and fill with toppings as appropriate. Your guests will love them!
-I take the time to fry a few extra tortillas to use later in the week when I’m ready to eat this again (it truly is one of my favorites!). I store the extra tostada shells wrapped in a paper towel and in a ziplock bag.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Leave me a comment letting me know what you think! ❤️