It’s Tasty Tuesday and today I am feeling something zesty! When I think of zesty I immediately go south of the border. I love Mexican food- anything spicy or bold in flavor and I’m all in! But, as we are quickly approaching swimsuit season (which it seems to have already arrived here in Southern California), I can’t help but feel like lighter food is the better option. AM I RIGHT? 😫 So I’m going to share with you a recipe that will give you the flavor you crave but keep it on the healthier side.
By now we have probably all been to that one awesome quick service restaurant that gets all the rage over their Cilantro Lime Rice. You know which one I’m talking about don’t you? Well friends, that is the inspiration for this recipe I created. Cilantro Lime is a winner in my book ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Two of my favorite flavors living in harmony together as one! Ha! So I made my version of it with Cauliflower “Rice” and paired it with chicken breast and a homemade quick guacamole (full detailed recipe for that to follow 😉). You could also pair this “Rice” with a different protein like salmon, steak, or go vegetarian and pair it with beans. There are tons of possibilites. This is a healthy and VERY easy meal that can be on the table (for the whole family) in less than 30 minutes. WIN.
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice- [Serves 4]
Prep Time: 5 minutes/ Cook Time: 20 minutes/ Total Time: 25 minutes
1 Head of Cauliflower (or use a bag of prepared raw “riced” cauliflower)
Juice of 1 Lime (to taste)
1 loose handful of fresh Cilantro leaves, finely chopped
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
Dash of Cumin
- Remove the leaves and hard core of the cauliflower, then wash. Chop finely until the size and texture looks like rice. (You could gently pulse the pieces of cauliflower in a blender instead, until you achieve the desired texture). If using a prepared bag of raw “riced” cauliflower, skip this step.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and add “riced” cauliflower to the pan when hot. COVER and cook over LOW heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and add the lime juice, 1/2 at a time, tasting until it is the tanginess you like.
- COVER and cook an additional 5 minutes over LOW heat until soft.
- Add finely chopped cilantro and stir together, allowing the cilantro to cook with the cauliflower for 1 minute. Remove from heat and serve.
Here is a shot of how I served my rice. This makes a great lunch or dinner!
Here are a few quick tips when making this recipe:
-To get the most juice out of your lime, microwave it for 10 seconds, then roll it back and forth across the countertop, pushing down with slight pressure before slicing it open. 🙌🏻
-While your cauliflower is cooking in the pan, take those 20 minutes to prepare the other components of your meal- chicken, steak, fish, beans, etc.
-“Riced” cauliflower freezes well! Chop/rice your cauliflower in advance and keep it stocked in your freezer- you will always have a quick, healthy side dish ready to cook up on hand!
-This recipe is Whole30 approved!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. Leave me a comment when you make this and let me know how you like it, and also what you served yours with! ❤️